1. Barbeque's or picnics ( or are they essentially the same thing?) bbq's because they tend to mean a group of family and friends enjoying one another's company at one's home. you sit around, listen to some good music, talk, have a few ritas or brews. sounds delightful. and if the bugs are really bad you can easily take it all inside.
2. The park/ the lake/ the beach or staying at home simply being? all of the above? sounds fabulous, each and every one of them! since it's just me and me madre today we're taking a nap (she is, i cleaned up the kitchen and am now enjoying the quiet time and blogosphere!), later tonight we'll head up to the park for some amusements and fireworks in our new town. we had a yummy lunch there an hour or so ago. but how i'd love to be at the lake or beach as well!
3. Fireworks- love 'em or hate 'em? both! they are absolutely beautiful and lots of fun to shoot them off but i also cringe at the lound bangs and wonder how folks who have been in war can handle the sound and i wonder about the environmental effects as well. sometimes the sounds totally weird me out, but if i can just watch and not think or worry i love them.
4. Parades- have you ever taken part- share a memory...today i was in my first parade since jr. high marching band! the parade/town's theme was "something old, something new, something red, white, and blue. guess what (or rather who) the new was! i'll post pictures as soon as i can but i haven't a clue when that will be. it was a blast! for the float judging (we didn't win) i sat with the kids on the float as one of them turned a thing that looked sorta like a windmill but had a UMC cross and flame, and sign that said "since 1864", i can't describe it much better than that so i'll have to show you later. one of the guys made it and it was awesome! half the time i was walking beside the float handing out water bottles and then i hopped onto the float and hung out with the kiddos. they told me that at a certain corner everyone hops on but this year i was the only one who gave up! everyone else walked the whole parade. it was great fun and a totally brand new experience for me!
5. Time for a musical interlude- if you could sum up holidays in a piece of music what would it be? i'm not so helpful here. i haven't a clue, sorry folks!