Heroes: June 5

Sorry this is a late posting but I was on the road by 4:30am so I didn't have time to blog before leaving--I do hope you'll forgive me. ;)

Ever since I began thinking about this heroes thing, my eldest daughter Merkin keeps popping into my head. She is one of my heroes.

Ever since she was tiny she was mostly fearless. She was and continues to be scared of heights but that hasn't stopped her from riding and loving rollercoasters, climbing some crazy stairs to the top of a lighthouse, it's not stopped her from doing anything that I know of.

When she was 5 she wrote a song at Christmas time about Jesus. I have it somewhere but I haven't a clue--boxed away I'm sure. Anywho, my little 5 year girl got up at church and sang her song to everyone. She preached a sermon that she wrote when she was 10 years old. She's one brave girl. I absolutely love her courage and confidence (although it can be a bit overbearing at times).

Despite the bravado that I sometimes put on, I hate talking in front of people (yet more proof that God has a wicked sense of humor). I'm often too terrified of what someone might think of me that I simply play it cool (now you know my weakness!).

She's not like that and I am eternally grateful that God has blessed her with a bright and shining spirit.

Zorra commented that it was cool that I come from strong and loving women--I am completely blessed by this and I am blessed because I am also the mother of some amazing young women. Ainsley and Valerie fall a bit on the shy side but seem to be coming out of that a bit. I can't help but think having Merkin as their big sister helps even if she can be a bit cruel to them from time to time. Afterall, she is a 13 year old girl! I'm glad that she's made it through a big transition this year and instead of losing her "voice" like many girls her age do, I think hers has gotten stronger. She makes me proud to be her mother (so do Valerie & Ainsley).

Holy God, thank you for my wonderful girls and thank you for making Merkin strong and outspoken (even if it makes me a bit crazy from time to time). Please continue to bless her, Valerie & Ainsley with strength, courage, and love. Amen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
One of my favorite memories is of Valerie's baptism. She started to fuss and Merkin who was 3 or 4 reached up and touched Val's toes and started singing softly to her while the ceremony continued. It was a wonderful moment that spoke volumes about her kind heart.

Gail ( I never remember my password hee. . .)

Popular Posts