Skip to main content

RevGal Friday 5: Good Things Edition

Kathrynzj writes, "So for today I am asking for five quick picks of things that are good in your life. And as a bonus, 1 pick for a thing you could do without."

5 good things I'm thankful for are:
  1. My family--Joel, Merkin, Valerie, and Ainsley and I are crazy nerds that fight and fuss but together we can face whatever life throws at us.  They fill my life with joy and insanity and I couldn't be happier that they are mine!
  2. Fabulous friends--this past week I was blessed to spend time with some wonderful women with whom I attended seminary.   I realized how much I need these women and other equally fabulous women in my life to keep my grounded and reminded of who I am.
  3. Fridays--Fridays are supposed to be my day off, my Sabbath.  Often I find myself working on Fridays, especially ones that come right after being gone for a week!  Yet, even when I find myself working, it's on my schedule and I do so feeling relaxed and not stressed out (at least this Friday!).
  4. Zumba--it's a fun way to get some exercise and a step in the right direction for my health.
  5. Confirmation Class--I love my confirmation class.  It's full of excitement and great discussions.  I love the interactions of the youth and their mentors.  It's refreshing and reminds me of what fuels my faith.
1 thing I could do without is shame.  What would one day free from shame feel like?  Not feeling any shame, not shaming anyone else...shame is one thing I (and probably everyone else) could do without.

Comments

kathrynzj said…
Shame - yes!

Glad this Friday is a well-paced one for you. I do work on Friday, but consider the quieter office the world's best kept secret.

Thanks for playing!
"joy and insanity"--YES! That's the best part of loved ones (be they family or friends). I agree about shame, too--how wonderful it would be.
Sandy said…
I love confirmation classes for exactly the reasons you named! Wonderful!
revkjarla said…
i have a great confirmation class this year, too!!
nice to have you back!
Songbird said…
Glad to see you playing! Missed you on the cruise this year.
Purple said…
I've tried Zumba...need to try it on non-carpeted floors...maybe it will be better.

Popular posts from this blog

My Third-trimester Abortion

It's something I don't talk about much.

In the past I referred to it as a stillbirth. It was a stillbirth. But it was also an induced labor in my third trimester, hence making it a third-trimester abortion.

When I discovered I was pregnant I was only 16 years old. I'm pretty sure Christopher was conceived on the night my mom walked in on my boyfriend and I having sex on the couch. I thought she was going to be at work but she came home early. He ran out the door and I cried while my mother yelled profanities at me. It was a horrible night for all of us.

I wasn't smart enough to consider pretending I was on my period. After a few months my mom asked me if I was pregnant. She was right but I denied it just the same. Tim and I had talked about giving the baby up for adoption but we were scared out of our minds and decided I'd get an abortion. Another month or so passed, I hadn't gotten an abortion and I couldn't deny my pregnancy to my mom anymore. I told her …

Cancer blues

Most days I feel really positive and good.  Today is not one of those days. Today is one of those days in which I've been thinking about having my lymph nodes removed and the risk of lymphodema in my legs. Dr. Gyn/Onc seemed more worried about this side effect than the actual cancer.  I don't want to go there but sometimes those images of log tree legs, remembering the pain from the swelling in my legs when I was pregnant, and imagining the drains being stuck in my body for a week or more, well it makes my skin crawl.

I know there will be good days and bad days. I try to keep the bad days from my family and friends. I know they are stressed too.

I feel like we are one of those families in which something is always going on and people start to pull away wondering WTF is wrong with them!

I'm used to being the care taker, not the one receiving care.

I have to find a new normal and that won't happen until after the surgery.  So I need an interim normal for the time being.

Cancer and unicorns

I wish I could remember where I found this prayer, it gives me strength and courage. 

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
but to be fearless in facing them.

Let me know beg for the stilling of my pain,
but for the heart to conquer it.

Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved,
but hope for the patience to win my freedom.

Grant me that I may not be a coward,
feeling your mercy in my success alone;
but let me find the grasp of your hand in my failure.

Written by Rabindranath Tagore

It turns out I have actual cancer.  In the tiniest of ways I am concerned but overall I am very positive about kicking some cancer ass. I think it has helped going through the precancerous stuff and emotions. I now know that I can get through the surgery. I know what I face and that I am surrounded by people who love and care for me and will help me through this.

A few months ago I had a "unicorn party" for my staff because things had been rough in the office and most folks had persona…