Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Glorious Easter!

Last week was a difficult week for me.  We lost a beloved woman, one especially close to my heart.  Her husband then fell and broke his hip, another man returned to the hospital possibly with an additional stroke (he regressed quite a bit in just a few days) and it was Holy Week with extra services and preparations. 

Quite truthfully, I was feeling a bit sorry for myself and struggled with some depression.  Then I read an email from another pastor in this area about his Easter experience which was wonderful.  As I emailed him back, thanking him for sharing his story I shared a bit of mine and it hit me just how wonderful and blessed I was by our Easter and how blessed I am in general, so I thought I'd share some good news for a change!

Within my first few months there was a crisis with a family that hit really close to home for me.  A couple lost a child far along in the pregnancy.  The doctors told them it was unlikely they could ever have one.  It was devastating.  Then they lost another.  This past Easter I baptized their infant son!  It was an extraordinary moment!  Additionally, I was honored to welcome them (officially) into our church family! 

Joel, my hubby/wanna be elementary school teacher, gave the most amazing and entertaining and profound children's sermon ever!  As he led the children's time, I continually thought:  "There is NO way I'm preaching after that!  There's nothing left for me to say!  I guess I'll just sit down and be done!"

But then there was an amazing musical special and a scripture reading between times and I was able to give a sermon and a very good one at that!  Which was a miracle in itself!  I had planned on telling a story that included my dad and not in a fabulous light, however the Spirit led me in a different direction.  Thank goodness for that because who showed up to surprise me?  Yep!  My dad and his fiance!  A little over halfway into the sermon I spotted him and then said a quick prayer for not revealing/sharing the story!

Our sunrise service had gorgeous weather and it was lovely.

I also worshipped at the nursing home that afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed making a joyful noise unto the Lord with them (I'm not a singer and most of them weren't either).

After that our family went to a hotel with a small water park and relaxed and played together.  There were only a handful of families/people there and so it was perfect!  Definitely an Easter to remember and rejoice in!

Thanks be to God!  God is great!  Amen!

1 comment:

Terri (AKA Mompriest) said...

oh, Crystal, lovely...all of it.