RevGal Friday 5: Books!

Jan writes, So tell us what you're reading, what you would and would not recommend--five books or authors!

I would highly recommend:


  1. Toni Morrison--anything written by Ms. Morrison is fantastically lyrical, inspiring, and thought provoking.  The Bluest Eye and Beloved are two that come immediately to mind.  Currently, Burn this Book is on my Kindle waiting to be read.  It's next in line after Annie Dillard's The Writing Life.






2.  Debbie Blue is co-pastor at House of Mercy in St. Paul, MN. Her writing and preaching is earthy, honest, and irresistible!    Her two published books are Sensual Orthodoxy and From Stone to Living Word--don't miss either!  I hope she has another coming out soon!








3.  Joyce Rupp--I feel as though I'm indulging in those folks you already know but just this morning I was thinking about how it was time to read and journal through Cup of Life again.  It is one of the few books that I've worked through the entire thing and surely its the only one I enjoyed and want to do over!  It was and continues to be very helpful to my spiritual development.  Now, can I find my copy, or have I given it to someone else and it's not been returned, do I need another copy?





4,  This one sort of feels like cheating, she's a professor at Saint Paul School of Theology and is an amazing woman, teacher, writer, and human being.  Thus far she's only published one book but I look forward to reading more and I'm sure she's published many journal articles, just keep your eyes and ears open and when you read or hear her name pay attention!  Oh yes, her name is Dr. Rev. Angela D. Sims!



5.  Just for fun (I need to add one of her books to my reading list!) is Sharan Newman for her Catherine Levendeur MysteriesThese are so much fun to read!  To be honest I had no idea she wrote anything else but after visiting her website I'll have to more thoroughly check her out!


Currently reading (on my new Kindle!):
  1. Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity by Adam Hamilton
  2. The Writing Life by Annie Dillard
  3. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
  4. Fearless Confessions:  A Writer's Guide to Memoir by Sue Silverman
  5. The Greatest Prayer: Rediscovering the Revolutionary Message of the Lord's Prayer
  6. The Woman's Bible by Elizabeth Cady Stanton
  7. Biblical Interpretation:  A Roadmap by Frederick C. Tiffany and Sharon H. Ringe
Who Wouldn't I Recommend?  Honestly I can't think of many.  I certainly have authors and books I don't like---the awful Twilight series (really?  ick!) and there is one author I read in seminary that I have tried to erase from my mind but it was powerful reading this idiot because I learned a lot about the scary theology some folks have.  I'll have to pass on bagging on any books or authors other than Twilight and the nameless idiot.  I figure that he's not worthy of gracing my blog and well, the woman who wrote Twilight--she can take it with all of the millions she's surely raking in.  This was great fun, thanks Jan!

Comments

Sharon said…
Thank you for sharing some new authors with me. I wrote down several of your recommendations. I see a Kindle in my future!
angela said…
I wasn't tempted by Twilight--though it was for teens. Read that kind of stuff as a teen and maybe shouldn't have. Usually in one sitting. I'll look up Sharon Newman though. My wish list just grows exponentially.

Popular Posts