Day 1

The thing that drew me in to this month's NaBloPoMo's quest to post each day in June was that they are offering daily writing prompts.  I love writing prompts--you never know where they will take you!

I've altered my office hours for the summer.  I don't go in until 10am!  I know it's crazy late but it's summer and it seems that with the girls and it simply being summer, my nights go rather late.  During the summer we rarely have dinner before 9, the evenings are just packed!  I am amazingly blessed to have such flexibility in my career!  It is my hope that I can dedicate this extra morning time to blogging and writing more regularly--hooray!

Today's writing prompt:  When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

The first thing I remember wanting to be was a Sunday School teacher--I didn't have a clue that I could grow up  and be a pastor!  I'm honored to stand behind the pulpit and preach almost every Sunday.  It also thrills me to no end when I see some of the little girls from church "play church" and be the pastor!  I love it! 

I also wanted to play 3rd base for the Kansas City Royals.  So how is it that I thought I could break the no girls allowed rule in professional baseball but not the ministry? 

Yet, as I write it occurs to me that I wasn't a huge fan of our pastor at the time.  He was angry and scary--always preaching fire and brimstone and shouting that we were going to Hell.  Now that I think about it, no wonder I  didn't want to be a pastor!  He was icky and scary while our Sunday School teacher was loving, kind, and wonderful--of course I'd want to be like her rather than him!

Comments

Terri said…
I wonder if, because girls could and did play sports as little girls if that made it possible to imagine being a pro? But I know I NEVER played church. NEVER. Somehow that just felt wrong. But now I love it when the little girls play priest and communion. It's awesome!

Looking forward to where the month will take you and also glad you have late mornings - summer can be a wonderful time to go a little slower.

Popular Posts