Does this sound right to you?

As I looked upon my Yahoo page this caught my attention, "Medical Rights for Gays."  Now, when I clicked on the link it led to an article called, "Obama extends medical rights to gay partners."  I was relieved to find a better headline but I found it troublesome to read "Medical Rights for Gays."  I am thrilled that finally partners/signficant others of anyone will be able to see their beloved when they are in ill condition or at their last in the hospital.  I've heard heart breaking stories from friends not being able to say good-bye because parents didn't approve of "their lifestyle."

When we say "gays" or "lifestyle" it totally takes the human reality of the relationship of love out of the equation.  Gays sounds like "the gays" or someother bizarro it/thing.  Lifestyle implies there is some other way of living--something other than breathing, eating, and loving.  It sounds as if "the gays", those things, live very differently than everyone else.  As if people who happen to love and be attracted to those of the same gender don't work, eat, get dressed, and emote just like those who happen to love and be attracted to those of the opposite gender. And what about thsoe who find themselves attracted to others regardless of gender?  Rubbish!

It's about damn time we stop with the dehumanizing of our brothers and sisters of this earth based on sexual orientation, gender, race, religion, potlitical viewpoints, etc!  And please stop using the Bible to justify it!  Why is it so difficult to understand that violence in the name of religion is wrong--whatever kind of violence it may be?

Comments

Terri said…
Absolutely! I disdain language like, "Lifestyle" and "the gays"...
Thanks for visiting my world and your comments on the poem :).

And THANK YOU for this piece - I so appreciate it when people are able to respond to such things with faith, intellect and heartfelt passion. The part that captures me most is the acknowledgement of how language continues to shape our impressions! We often don't recognize that fact until someone (like you!) point it out.

Popular Posts