Merkin's Birth-day--Happy Birthday Merkin!

Today is a wonderful and beautiful day, my Merkin's 15th birthday!  It's hard to believe that 15 years ago today she was born. 

I had been in labor for nearly 24 hours.  For the most part it was a pretty good 24 hours.  Phil (my father-in-law) still talks about it as the party room.  I was 23 and thrilled to meet my little girl.  My roommate Jenn and my best-friend Valerie took care of me the whole time.  We began with helium balloons and music playing, more friends and family dropping in to say hello. 

Joel (then a friend) dropped in to check on us.  He sat there reading the chart paper telling me when I was having a contraction and how big it was.  I laughed because in the birthing class they warned the dads not to get absorbed in the machines, "That's exactly what they said the dad's would do!"  It seemed hilarious at the time--if we had only known!

Of course, about 12 hours in the hours got longer and the pain began to kick in.  I tried to be good, to avoid the drugs.  Valerie helped me in and out of the whirpool.  She tried to help me breathe but Jenn had been the one to go through the birthing classes with me.  Valerie's breathing annoyed me but with Jenn all I had to do was look at her face and everything calmed down. 

Life is funny...15 years ago I never dreamt that I'd be married to Joel with 2 other wonderful girls, a pastor and living in a small Missouri town.  God is hilarious and I'm so thankful!

Comments

Terri said…
Life is funny indeed. So glad you have this wonderul family.

Popular Posts