Skip to main content

Avatar


This weekend we braved the cold winds and went to see Avatar.  It is a gorgeous movie!  I would love to know the people who created the creatures and plants--they have amazing imaginations.  I was  in awe much of the time by the sheer beauty of the effects and unusual creatures.  It was spectacular!

The storyline is very familiar.  White folks (mostly anyway)  find a new land that has a mineral, unobtainium (ok, couldn't they have gotten a bit more creative here?), and seek to destroy all the people, creatures, and land that could prevent them from getting to it.  Then one of the white men falls in love with the chief's daughter, becomes a better Navii than any of the actual Naviis and leads them in fighting off the other whites.  Can we ever move beyond this plotline?   Could the indigienous peoples ever save themselves?  Could the whites ever learn or incorporate the widsom of the indigienous peoples? 

One thing that was a bit unusual and nice to see, was that the Navii did not seem to discriminate between men and women--they did not follow male vs. female roles, both males and females were hunters and warriors (we didn't really get to see other roles but I trust they would be consistent). 

I look forward to it coming out on video and hopefully using clips for sermons or youth group/Sunday School.  It is rich with religous themes of baptism, being born again, our interconnectedness and relation to God.  I'm sure somone is writing the official book about it as I write.

The storylines are familiar, as are the characters, and even their religous portrayals.  The cinematography makes it all worth watching. 

PS.
Over at Jesus Manifesto there is an article about people who are struggling with depression (some sounds pretty severe) after watching Avatar!  These folks were so drawn in by the beauty that their reality no longer meets their own needs and some even feel suicidal.  I never imagined that sort of reaction! 

What does this say about the state of our culture and society? 

Comments

Mompriest said…
there is lots of depression in our culture these days...I've heard good things about this movie, but not its connection to depression....wonder what that is tapping into?
revhipchick said…
yes, "what is it tapping into?" that is a better framing of my question. i know there is quite a bit of depression (I've struggled with it most of my life), i was just shocked to hear it related to the movie.

i look forward to hearing more.
hip2b said…
Thanks for the review...I was afraid the plot would be exactly what it seems to be. No interest in seeing it, even if its beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

My Third-trimester Abortion

It's something I don't talk about much.

In the past I referred to it as a stillbirth. It was a stillbirth. But it was also an induced labor in my third trimester, hence making it a third-trimester abortion.

When I discovered I was pregnant I was only 16 years old. I'm pretty sure Christopher was conceived on the night my mom walked in on my boyfriend and I having sex on the couch. I thought she was going to be at work but she came home early. He ran out the door and I cried while my mother yelled profanities at me. It was a horrible night for all of us.

I wasn't smart enough to consider pretending I was on my period. After a few months my mom asked me if I was pregnant. She was right but I denied it just the same. Tim and I had talked about giving the baby up for adoption but we were scared out of our minds and decided I'd get an abortion. Another month or so passed, I hadn't gotten an abortion and I couldn't deny my pregnancy to my mom anymore. I told her …

Cancer blues

Most days I feel really positive and good.  Today is not one of those days. Today is one of those days in which I've been thinking about having my lymph nodes removed and the risk of lymphodema in my legs. Dr. Gyn/Onc seemed more worried about this side effect than the actual cancer.  I don't want to go there but sometimes those images of log tree legs, remembering the pain from the swelling in my legs when I was pregnant, and imagining the drains being stuck in my body for a week or more, well it makes my skin crawl.

I know there will be good days and bad days. I try to keep the bad days from my family and friends. I know they are stressed too.

I feel like we are one of those families in which something is always going on and people start to pull away wondering WTF is wrong with them!

I'm used to being the care taker, not the one receiving care.

I have to find a new normal and that won't happen until after the surgery.  So I need an interim normal for the time being.

Cancer and unicorns

I wish I could remember where I found this prayer, it gives me strength and courage. 

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
but to be fearless in facing them.

Let me know beg for the stilling of my pain,
but for the heart to conquer it.

Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved,
but hope for the patience to win my freedom.

Grant me that I may not be a coward,
feeling your mercy in my success alone;
but let me find the grasp of your hand in my failure.

Written by Rabindranath Tagore

It turns out I have actual cancer.  In the tiniest of ways I am concerned but overall I am very positive about kicking some cancer ass. I think it has helped going through the precancerous stuff and emotions. I now know that I can get through the surgery. I know what I face and that I am surrounded by people who love and care for me and will help me through this.

A few months ago I had a "unicorn party" for my staff because things had been rough in the office and most folks had persona…