This morning as I prayed for a loved one in the hospital I thought of all the women in similar circumstances but without health insurance, without the best doctors, without access to health care of any kind and prayed for them too.  As I prayed, I thanked God that I was not God to hear and love all of those women, their children, and all the people of the world frightened, in pain, alone, lost, and suffering and being asked to do something about it.  It is difficult enough to care for the people in my small circle, to have my heart break over my three girls.  I can't imagine the difficulty in loving and caring and having my heart broken again and again for all of God's children--past, present, and those to come.

As I considered those other women without health care or limited care, with worries not only of their bodies and children but of the finances to cover the expense of doctors, hospitals, and the children they await, I thought....there is nothing I can do about that and was awash with a sense of relief.  Perhaps that is the most heart breaking part of all--that we live this lie.  This lie that we are helpless to do anything for anyone else.  I'd guess this is what pains God most of all.  I can't help but think that there are little  and big things that I can do to help other women without access to health care or with limited funds to afford it.  I can't fix it.  I'm no doctor so I can't go on some grand mission trip and provide care directly.  But I can donate to fund those who do.  I can vote for people who see health care for all as a priority, and there must be more I can do--I just haven't taken the time to figure it out.

I am reminded of Gandhi this morning, "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem."

May this day we do what we can, no matter how big or small, and instead of leaving it to God to figure out and do something about it, may we.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts