Heroes: June 2


My mom has been a hero of mine for a long time. We fight and fuss like mothers and daughters do but she truly is my hero.


My mom, Linda, is one of the strongest people I know. She left my father because he was physically abusive. It was really scary for her but she did what she had to do. It took courage and strength beyond imagination. Despite the awful threats he made to her, a year or so later she found the determination to come for me. In the first grade I moved in with my mom. I used to sneak and read her diary from time to time (sorry mom) and she was still scared of what he might do and yet, anyone else would never have known it. I only knew because I was a snoop.


She raised me with great love and tenderness which is pretty amazing because I was a horrible child to her. I was an angry child and filled with rage most often misdirected at my mother. (I'm sorry mom.) Yet, she never laid a hand on me. I don't know how she did it, I would have ended up beating a child like that! She wasn't and isn't perfect but she saved my life by leaving my dad when she did. I am totally grateful because I was raised with a loving mother and protected from living with violence in my home on a regular basis. (I love my dad too but I am grateful that I only had to live with him every other weekend)


She is one of the most generous people I know. If you are in need she'll do whatever she can to help you out--even if it means that she will go without. She's sorta funny because you never know what will pull at her heart strings and move her to do something extraordinarily kind. For the most part she doesn't look down on anyone--she's been working at the Adams County Jail for nearly 10 years and that has jaded her a tad but not as much as one might expect.


I've seen her through good years and bad years and through it all she's shown courage and strength. She taught me not to take "stuff" from others, to stand up for myself as well as stand up for others. She taught me to care for those who needed a friend, to give what I have to help someone else, and to always share celebrations usually intended for family with those who have none.


Thanks Mom! I love you!
PS. I couldn't find a different/better picture because you're always hiding from the camera! <3

Comments

Terri said…
awesome tribute to your mom - and of course points to why you are so awesome too!

Popular Posts